Once you’ve had a good look at your data and decided that there’s something interesting to write about, how can you deliver it to the public? This section opens with short anecdotes about how leading data journalists have served their data up to their readers — from infographics, to open data platforms, to download links. Then we take a more extended look at how to build news apps, and the ins and outs of data visualization. Finally, we take a look at what you can do to engage your audience around your project.
What's in this Chapter?
1. Presenting Data to the Public
2. How to Build a News App
3. News Apps at ProPublica
4. Visualization as the Workhorse of Data Journalism
5. Using visualizations to Tell Stories
6. Designing With Data
7. Different Charts Tell Different Tales
8. Data visualization DIY: Our Top Tools
9. How We Serve Data at Verdens Gang
10. Public Data Goes Social
11. Engaging People Around Your Data